“We leave something of ourselves behind when we leave a place, we stay there, even though we go away. And there are things in us that we can find again only by going back there.” -Pascal Mercier
You’re probably wondering how long I can continue to write about an experience that happened over a year ago. The answer is… a really long time.
Recently, I laid in bed and let my thoughts wander. I thought about Spain, as I frequently do and I realized: I totally won the study abroad lottery.
This September, it will have been two years since the adventure began. I am still reaping the benefits.
Some of my lottery winnings include:
- Two awesome roommates who got stuck living with me in Spain but are living with me willingly now in MN.
- An adorable boyfriend who doesn’t get sick of me reminiscing and whining about wanting to be in Spain. I can bring up minuscule details about the experience and he knows exactly what I’m talking about. He also takes me to Mexico, which is pretty nice too.
- Spanish skills, that I still try and use on occasion.
- A new found independence and wanderlust.
- This blog, which helped me get a job that pays me to blog.
- Memories that keep me going on the not-so exciting days.
Thanks, Toledo. I owe you big time.