“Actually, the best gift you could have ever given her was a lifetime of adventures” -Lewis Carroll
Where do I begin?
I spent this Thanksgiving in paradise, aka Cancun, with an amazing boyfriend and his amazing family. When I found out that I could tag along on their annual Thanksgiving getaway, I was elated but also slightly terrified to spend seven days with a family I hardly knew.
But it was perfect.
Our daily schedule was simple and varied little over the 7 days. Here’s a brief summary.
- Wake up after a long nights sleep, listening to the ocean
- Eat breakfast
- Head to the beach
- Read, “tan”, sleep, stare at the ocean
- Eat on the beach (waiters delivered our food right to our palapa!)
- Read, “tan”, sleep, stare at the ocean some more
- Happy hour on the beach (margaritas, banana monkeys, and mojitos galore)
- Go inside and inspect the day’s sunburn
- Eat the most delicious dinner (usually involving steak and/or seafood)
- Relax the evening away playing cards, reading, or watching a movie
Sounds pretty nice, right? It was.
Some other highlights included…
- Going to the spa and having a Swedish massage
- Taking a day trip to Coba and climbing a Mayan pyramid
- Celebrating Bennett’s birthday
- Learning some fun new card games and finally mastering the shuffling bridge
- Reading Amy Poehler’s memoir Yes Please
- Spending lots of time with my favorite guy
- Visiting a local aquarium
- Watching White Christmas on Thanksgiving
- Getting to hold a baby sea turtle; 1/90 that had just hatched on the beach near our hotel
Really, everything was great.
This trip was unlike any vacation I’ve ever been on. I loved every minute and have never felt so welcomed and embraced by another family. I am forever grateful for letting me join the fun. Until next time, I will be freezing and dreaming of the sunshine, margaritas, and guacamole.